Home | Contact Us | Pitch Locations
Sun 2nd March 2014 - League
U17 4 V 0 Gillway Boys
Pitch : Moor Lane Pavilion
Match Report

Four Oaks Boys U15s versus Gillway Boys U15s

The next challenge on our lads’ quest to win the league was presented by Gillway Boys. Four Oaks got off to a lively start and within the first 10 minutes Lewis carved the Gillway defence open with a slide-rule pass to Mario who, with inevitable precision, drilled the ball into the back of the net. Moments later he put the ball in the back of the net again but this time was judged to be offside. The relentless Four Oaks pressure that followed resulted in a goal mouth scramble with the ball erratically flying around the box until Matt put an end to the confusion by smacking the ball into the goal. This was also ruled offside so, despite having the ball in the Gillway net three times, after twenty minutes the score remained 1-0.

The fluid, passing football Four Oaks had previously produced now deserted them and after a promising start the game deteriorated with neither team taking control. With this lack of creativity both teams were reduced to taking long shots with Pav coming closest to scoring with a 30 yard effort that just cleared the Gillway bar. The half ended on a high for Four Oaks, however, when Els fired in a free kick from wide on the right and the ball weaved through the mass of players in the box, beat the keeper and ended up in the back of the net.  So we went into half time with a slightly flattering 2 goal cushion.

Gillway started the second half brightly and put together some good attacking football. Shots seemed to fizz towards Dan’s goal from every angle but, as we have become accustomed to this season, our defence stood firm. Four oaks continued to soak up the pressure and began to effectively turn defence into attack. During one such counter-attack, Mario was brought down just outside the Gillway box. From the resulting free-kick, Pav stroked the ball into the box where Lewis hit the ball on the turn but the ball flew just wide. Gillway continued to pile on the pressure and produced some cracking shots from long range but on each occasion Dan was equal to the challenge.

Just when it looked like Gillway may get back into the game, yet another counter attacking move from Four Oaks led to James finding himself one on one with the keeper and he made no mistake in hammering the ball home to create a more comfortable three goal margin. This was certainly the turning point of the match as Four Oaks began to dominate the game and moments later Pav fired just over the bar from outside the Gillway box. A more controlled Four Oaks continued to pile the pressure on when Rob went on a mazy run deep into the Gillway half. The ball broke free and  Mario pounced on the loose ball and slotted in our fourth goal of the afternoon. As the game was drawing to a close Four Oaks won a free kick some 20 yards out.  Pav’s strike was saved by the keeper and the ball fell to Mario whose spectacular overhead kick hit the crossbar. 

Not the prettiest game this season but we still won 4-0 against a Gillway side who battled hard. If we can win in this way when we are not at our best then surely the league title is within our grasp.        

Man of the Match: Mario

Manager's Award: Elliot

Website Development by CANDA Systems LTD